Top mobile data consuming app categories vary across countries with diverse data usage trends
An app’s mobile data consumption can play a factor in limiting usage among users or regions with low-powered networks or limited data plans. The most-used app categories in markets such as the United States may perform well under the lower data thresholds of emerging markets such as India and Brazil. In today’s post, we look at which app categories are consuming the highest amount of mobile data in five countries with diverse data usage trends: United States, United Kingdom, Japan, India, and Brazil.
This graph illustrates the daily mobile data consumption per user in each of the five countries, and shows how greatly mobile data consumption differs between more developed countries like the United States (33.5 MB/day) and growing markets such as India (13.2 MB/day). Below we delve into each country’s five highest consuming Android app categories and its respective portion of cellular data consumption.
1. Social Mobile Data Usage (23%) – In the U.S., Android users utilize 23% of daily mobile data for social apps such as Google+, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
2. Media & Video Mobile Data Usage (22%) – Following closely behind at 22% is Media & Video. Popular Android apps in the Media & Video category for users in the U.S. are YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu.
3. Entertainment Mobile Data Usage (12.1%) – 12.1% of mobile data usage for Android users in the United States is for apps in the Entertainment category.
4. Communication Mobile Data Usage (10%) – Top apps in this category for U.S. Android users include Chrome, Google Hangouts, and Facebook Messenger.
5. Music & Audio Mobile Data Usage (9.4%) – Android users in the U.S. exhaust 9.4% of mobile data for the Music & Audio category for apps such as Pandora and iHeartRadio.
1. Social Mobile Data Usage (25.3%) – In the United Kingdom, Android users spend the majority of their daily cellular data for Social apps, more-so than U.S. Android users.
2. Media & Video Mobile Data Usage (23.3%) – The second category that Android users in the U.K. utilize the most cellular data in is Media and Video. Following the same trend as the Social category, Android users in the U.K. utilize more of their data plans for this category than Android users in the U.S.
3. Communication Mobile Data Usage (11.5%) – Android users in the U.K. utilize 11.5% of their mobile data for communication apps, with the abundance of users using WhatsApp.
4. Entertainment Mobile Data Usage (8.3%)– Unlike the Android users in the U.S., users in the U.K. spend less mobile data for apps in the Entertainment category (12% for the U.S. compared to 8.3% for the U.K.). Most downloaded entertainment apps in the U.K. include BBC iPlayer and Movies by Flixster.
5. Music & Audio Mobile Data Usage (8.1%) – Most downloaded apps in this category for U.K. Android users are Amazon Music and TuneIn Radio
1. Media & Video Mobile Data Usage (18.8%) – The Media and Video category takes first in the percentage of mobile data exhausted across all categories. Android users in Japan utilize a majority of their mobile data for media & video apps such as Google Play Movies & TV, YouTube, and Niconico.
2. Role Playing Mobile Data Usage (18.2%) – Coming in 2nd are apps in the role playing category. Role playing games (RPGs) are big in Japan, therefore it is no surprise that Android users use their mobile data for RPGS.
3. Communication Mobile Data Usage (9.3%) – 9.3% of cellular data consumed in Japan is for communication apps. The largest and most popular cross-platform communication app in Japan is Line.
4. Social Mobile Data Usage (9.1%) – Android users in Japan utilize 9.1% of mobile data for social apps.
5. News & Magazine Mobile Data Usage (6.2%) – The top 5th category that Android users in Japan spend their mobile data on is News and Magazine. Apps in this category include Yahoo! JAPAN, Google Play Newsstand, and SmartNews.
1. Tools Mobile Data Usage (32.9%) – Surprisingly, India uses an astounding 32.9% of mobile data for tool apps. Popular and most downloaded tool app for Android users in India is M2Catalyst’s Battery Widget.
2. Communication Mobile Data Usage (20.3%) – Android users in India utilize a significant portion of their mobile data plans for apps in the Communication category; the most popular communication app in India is WhatsApp.
3. Social Mobile Data Usage (10.9%) – The four most downloaded apps in the Social category for India is the same as the U.S. and U.K.; the 5th most downloaded social app for India is LinkedIn.
4. Media & Video Mobile Data Usage (8.1%) – In 4th place, in regards to the percentage of cellular data usage as part of an overall category, is Media and Video, with 8.1% of mobile data consumption.
5. Business Mobile Data Usage (3.2%) – Making it to the top 5 mobile data usage categories are business apps, which is attributed to India’s growing business economy.
1. Social Mobile Data Usage (30.3%) – The Android app category that users in Brazil spend the most mobile data in is the Social app category.
2. Communication Mobile Data Usage (19.6%) – 19.6% of mobile data consumption is for the Communication category, for apps such as WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
3. Music & Audio Mobile Data Usage (12.3%) – The 3rd category in terms of percentage of cellular data consumption for Android users in Brazil is Music and Audio (12.3%). Two most downloaded apps for Android users in Brazil for this category are Google Play Music and Shazam.
4. Media & Video Mobile Data Usage (10.7%) – The Media and Video category accounts for 10.7% of mobile data usage across all categories for Android users in Brazil.
5. Tools Mobile Data Usage (4.3%) – The 5th category that Android users in Brazil spend the majority of their mobile data plans is for Tool apps.