Percentage of Data Usage in Background for Android App Categories – An M2 App Insight Report
This week’s report on the background data consumption of over 30 different Android app categories is provided by M2 App Insight, a powerful community-based performance analytics solution for app developers. M2 App Insight utilizes a database of over a trillion app performance data points from over 1 million Android apps to improve app life for consumers and app developers alike.
Go to http://m2appinsight.com/developers/ to receive a free report that shows how your app compares to its category and identify performance issues that might be damaging your app’s reputation.
To keep your users satisfied, it’s most important that your app only uses data when it has to. If your app is continuously using data in the background, you risk upsetting your users when they see their data bill. Use M2 App Insight to identify data issues that can be remedied with a little extra engineering effort, resulting in an enhanced user experience and a happier customer. By minimizing your app’s data usage in the background, you’ll be reducing your app’s risk of being uninstalled when the monthly data bill comes back around.
Listed below are the background data consumption averages for over 30 Android app categories, reported by M2 App Insight. If you would like to learn more about how your app is performing among the global Android audience, go to www.M2AppInsight.com for a free report on your app and learn more about how your app performs on all of your users’ devices.
- As expected, several app categories known to run persistently (Tools, Productivity, and Weather) use the highest percentage of data in the background. For these categories, consumers understand the need to send data while off screen.
- Despite the Media & Video category known for using high resources in the foreground, the category surprisingly uses the majority of its data while in the background.
- By updating content once the user enters the app, Sports apps manage to attribute only 9% of their data consumption to background usage.
- Apps with inefficient background data usage may suffer from reduced customer engagement due to overconsumption of users’ data plans.
How does your app compare to the category average for memory, battery, data, and more? Go to http://m2appinsight.com/developers/ to receive your free report.
Want to see how your app performs across all of your users’ devices? Download the free M2 App Insight SDK.
- Pinpoint device types, OS versions, carrier networks, and geographic regions where your app performs poorly, and may be causing reduced engagement, uninstalls, and negative reviews.
- Track all of your app versions to check for performance improvements.
- Identify competing apps that are trending in usage and reducing your users’ engagement with your app.
New to M2 Mobile Insights?
Get high-quality posts and exclusive content delivered to your email.